Friday, April 8, 2011

Couponing 101- Where I get my coupons

Couponing 101 - Where I get my coupons

One of the things I have learned in the two years that I have been couponing is there are coupons for almost everything. When I first started I had no idea you could find coupons for things other than groceries.

Here is a list of my favorite places to find coupons:

The Sunday Newspaper - I currently have a subscription for 2 papers. On Sunday mornings I go through the paper and look at the coupons. If I find coupons that I know I will use that equal to higher than the cost of the paper I will buy additional papers. I also buy additional papers the weekends that the Albertson's doublers are available. A local Spokane Sunday paper costs me $2.00. I make sure that the coupons I am going to use make up that $2.00 and more. It is not cost effective to buy extra papers if I am only going to save $.50 and had to spend $2.00 to get the paper.

Online printable coupons- Online printable coupons are a fantastic way to start couponing. You control what coupons you want to print. Most of the time you can print 2 of each coupon that is available. If you see a coupon for a product that you always purchase I suggest printing it right when you see it. Each coupon has a set number of prints attached to it. There is no way of knowing when the coupon will hit its print limit and be pulled.
A note on couponing the right and ethical way - It is not OK to photo copy or reprint a printable coupon in any manner. Each coupon has a specific code on it. Using photocopied coupons is fraudulent and hurts the store and other couponers.
One way to save money when printing coupons is to check your printer settings. I was able to change my printer to a draft setting that uses a lot less ink when printing coupons.

Here are the sites that I check daily:
Coupons.com

Redplum

Store Coupons- Many stores release their own coupons that can be used with manufacturer coupons. I look for store coupons in their Sunday ads and while I am visiting the stores.

Walgreens, Rite-Aid, CVS and Target give you the opportunity to stack a store coupon with a manufacturer coupon to increase your savings. Specific stores have policies on how many coupons you can stack together. I always suggest having a copy of the stores coupon policy with you and understanding the stores policy. You can print current policies for the stores at the top of website.

Social Media - Social Media is a great place to find new coupons. If you love a product I highly suggest following them on Facebook and/or Twitter. This is a great way to interact with the company and find great coupons.

Magazines - Keep an eye out when reading your favorite magazines. I am finding a lot of great coupons inserted into magazines.

Store Rewards Cards - If the stores that you shop at offer a rewards card I highly suggest signing up for it. Many of the stores that I shop at send out special coupons and sales to rewards card members. I have a special email account set up just for sales and offers. That way my personal email account is not filled with advertisements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment