Sunday, January 3, 2010

FREE Credit Report

If you haven’t already gotten your free annual credit report, why not start the year off with knowing what exactly is on your credit report. Each person gets one free report per year thanks to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act. Snag yours on AnnualCreditReport.com. (Note, this is the only site where you can truly get a free credit report.) You can also call 877-322-8228 to request a free report.

I have posted a few times about how important I think this is. I found out that my credit report was wrong when we went to the bank and tried to put my name on my husbands bank account. I can not tell you how angry and confused I was when the bank employee told me that I was not able to be on his account due to multiple collection accounts. When I reviewed the credit report I found that someone on the east coast had a cell phone and electricity under my social security number. It took a few weeks and a lot of phone calls to get these items cleaned off my report. After this lovely surprise I check my report every four months. I spread each of the free reports out over the year. I want to make sure that I do not have any surprises the next time we go and get a car loan or apply for something.

1 Comments:

freeannualcreditreport said...

I just notice that we can check report more than one time a year. Thank you for this tips and I just found the right resource from your story.

Post a Comment